With the Rule 1.4 kg (3 pound) Weight Mould you can make your own lead belt/hip weights, 1.4 kg (3 lb) or 0.9 kg (2 lb), for scuba diving, spearfishing and snorkelling. Total weight can be controlled by varying amount of lead you pour into the mould. Made from cast aluminium, this mould is extremely robust.
Caution: Melting lead and casting lead objects will expose you and others in the area to lead, which is known to cause birth defects, other reproductive harm, and cancer.
Some Safety Tips
Moulding lead is economical, fun, and easy when done properly. We suggest you follow these simple tips:
- Always wear gloves and eye protection.
- Always work in a well ventilated area! Use strong ventilation!
- Keep the work area around the molten metal dry and free of moisture. This includes the crucible. Never allow moisture, or even a sweat drop, to fall into molten lead. Moisture expands when it comes into contact with hot metal. This expansion can cause "splatter" of the hot metal, and can cause serious burns.
- NOTICE: We recommend a light coat of Vaseline on your hands, arms, and face. This will help prevent burns if "splatter" does occur.
- Always wear a long sleeved shirt, long pants, and shoes.
- Pre-heat all tools that come into contact with lead.
- Heat up the lead thoroughly before casting your weight.
Reducing Exposure: Melting lead should be done outdoors in a well ventilated area while wearing a gas mask and keep yourself upwind. Lead contamination in air, in dust, and on your skin is invisible. Keep children and pregnant women away during use and until clean up is complete. Risk can be reduced, but not eliminated, with strong ventilation; washing hands immediately after use of the mould before eating or smoking; and careful cleaning of surfaces and floors with disposable wipes, after lead dust has had a chance to settle. Use a lead specific cleaner with EDTA, or a high phosphate detergent (like most detergents sold for electric dishwashers), and bag wipes for disposal.
Liability Disclaimer: The Scuba Doctor does not accept any liability of any kind for accidents, or poisoning by lead fumes, while using these moulds.