Scuba Doctor Forums Resurrected

News, announcement and upcoming events or services from The S.C.U.B.A. Doctor.
lloyd_borrett
Site Admin

Scuba Doctor Forums Resurrected

Postby lloyd_borrett » Sat, 17 Mar 2018 6:21 am

G'day,

Yes, the Scuba Doctor Forums are back!

The forums were started in 2006 and taken offline in 2014. Fighting the spammers was too difficult, and the forums were fairly inactive.

However, Australia's premier diving forums, Dive-Oz, is going offline at the end of the March 2018. That's sad as our diving community will be loosing a rich repository of information. Unfortunately, most people tend to use social media platforms like Facebook these days, instead of online forums. They are swayed by the immediacy of it, but the trade off is that they loose the rich and searchable information repository provide by forums.

We still wanted somewhere where we could continue to share updates about what we're doing and receive input, especially for our ongoing Victorian dive site maps and dive site information project. And who knows, maybe some of the Australian diving community will find using these forums useful and worthwhile as well.

So we recovered the old forum system from backups, reinstalled it, and then updated it. Now we have a better forum platform, with the latest anti-spam measures, plus new forum features.

We hope you will enjoy using these forums, and we would welcome any feedback on the forum system.

Best regards, Lloyd Borrett.

DAE avatar
Clubdiver
Forum Moderator

Re: Scuba Doctor Forums Resurrected

Postby Clubdiver » Sun, 18 Mar 2018 6:29 pm

Goodonyer Lloydy! It will be sad to see the DiveOz forum go, so let's see if this one can generate some chat. I for one would like to use it to promote clubs, and use it as a way for us to learn how different clubs do things differently, the problems they face and the solutions and successes they enjoy. Also report on club activities and dives, and even provide a place where we might host each other.

To kick off I would say that my club is suffering from a lack of dive activity of late, even though there have been plenty of opportunities. There are a number of reasons for this, a key members boat has needed major repairs, I have had to work many weekends, and we are still recovering from the loss of one of our most popular members late last year. We know we need to recruit enthusiastic new members to get the regular activity going again, and soon! I wonder if other clubs are booming or snoozing, and how they are managing either.

We had to cancel Saturdays dives due to lack of numbers again, and I'm starting to see the end of my diving career in the next decade or so, so want to make the most of the time I have left! Looking forward to fruitful discussion.

lloyd_borrett
Site Admin

Postby lloyd_borrett » Mon, 19 Mar 2018 5:48 am

G'day,

I've setup a Club Diving forum for this purpose?

Would you like to moderate it?

Best regards, Lloyd Borrett.

DAE avatar
Clubdiver
Forum Moderator

Postby Clubdiver » Tue, 20 Mar 2018 10:39 pm

OK Lloydy, set me up!!

lloyd_borrett
Site Admin

Postby lloyd_borrett » Wed, 21 Mar 2018 5:42 pm