Heading to Mornington Peninsula

If you're planing a dive and would like some additional dive buddies, then let everyone know here. Likewise, if you're looking for someone to go diving with, check these topics, or ask away.
DAE avatar
watsea

Heading to Mornington Peninsula

Postby watsea » Sun, 08 Apr 2018 8:41 pm

We are heading for Mornington Peninsula in a couple of weeks for a few days diving. Most likely doing Blairgowrie and Flinders maybe Rye too. Hoping we will be able to cope with colder water after our warmer water of SE Qld. We head down Mornington way every year or two for a dip. Looking forward to see a few Weedies, nudies and a few of your other locals. :) This is my first post on the doc's forums. I had been an infrequent poster but regular reader of Diveoz

DAE avatar
packo
Forum Moderator

Re: Heading to Mornington Peninsula

Postby packo » Mon, 09 Apr 2018 10:57 am

Hello watsea,

So far down here our Autumn has been fairly mild. However it is the time of year when the Bay cools down faster than the Ocean and the temperature curves cross-over as in this 2017 graph from "www.baywinds.com.au":-

So in late April suit up for 17 - 18 degrees water temp, and pack an extra jumper for the daytime. (While we are trading weather snipes, didn't AB have a dive trip to your neck of the woods wiped out last year through storms and cyclonic rain?). I hope you do enjoy what is on offer down this way, and that your teeth will eventually stop chattering.

You are one of the first ex dive-Ozers to post here. There seem to be about 50 new members since this these forum pages were restarted, and even I have "come across to the dark side" to work for changes "from inside the tent".

More "posting members" are needed to keep it all viable, so hopefully you might be able to give us all a report after your trip.

It would be good for other new members to also take that important "first step" to spark up a conversation. Some may be able to give "watsea" tips on parking and the best access methods for the sites he has mentioned.

cheers,
packo

DAE avatar
watsea

Postby watsea » Mon, 09 Apr 2018 11:32 pm

Tanks for the temperature info Packo.
We should have enough layers of suits to cope with those temperatures. One visit a couple of years ago was in early to mid May and some of our longer dives at Blairgowrie were pretty cool by the time we got out.
Heading for Whyalla and cuttlefish at the end of May, so some cool water practice will be helpful.

DAE avatar
Clubdiver
Forum Moderator

Postby Clubdiver » Tue, 10 Apr 2018 9:31 pm

Actually our Gold Coast Seaway trip was a complete disaster, there had been so much rain, the driveway of our accommodation had washed away and we couldn't get the ambulance to the house when Mary had a severe kidney stone attack! Spent the rest of the week in different hospitals. We did return later in the year to find the Seaway blocked off with road constructions, so we dived Byron and Cook island, both good. Hoping Watsea will find the Spider Crabs as they seem to be piled up everywhere at the moment in preparation for moulting in June. Also, good to see you on here Watsea! I had to change my name as it didn't have enough character(s)!

Alan