Pioneer GPS Marks Changed

Keep up-to-date about what's happening with the Scuba Doctor's Melbourne and Victorian dive maps and dive site information.
lloyd_borrett
Site Admin

Pioneer GPS Marks Changed

Postby lloyd_borrett » Wed, 11 Apr 2018 2:45 pm

G'day,

VSAG went out to dive on the Pioneer last weekend and couldn't find the wreck using the marks we provided based on those given in the Victoria's Ships Graveyard book.

Alan Beckhurst has provided tried and tested marks and the database has been updated.

Best regards, Lloyd Borrett.

P.S. I hope to find time to use the information provided by Packo to update some other marks soon.

DAE avatar
packo
Forum Moderator

Re: Pioneer GPS Marks Changed

Postby packo » Sat, 14 Apr 2018 1:52 am

VSAG went out to dive on the Pioneer last weekend and couldn't find the wreck using the marks we provided based on those given in the Victoria's Ships Graveyard book.

Alan Beckhurst has provided tried and tested marks and the database has been updated.

Two points to note:-

1) The "old" Scuba Doctor mark is only 28m away from the "new" mark. Normally one might expand the search that far out if nothing shows up at the given "target" point.

2) The "new" tried and tested mark is in fact identical to the numbers from both the old (~2014) BSAC and VSAG list entries of:-
38 20.366 S 144 26.378 E. The question then is how it got "updated" away.

Progress isn't always progress I suppose. Bad luck for the VSAG guys but I assume they got onto an alternative site.

(BTW I would be interested if anyone returning home from that general area could check out and report on:-
38 19.307 S 144 28.324 E.
The chart shows a 20m sounding whereas much of the surrounding water is closer to 30m.)

cheers,
packo (PS. Noticed forums are still running on Daylight Savings Time at 14/04/18 rather than UTC+10)

DAE avatar
Clubdiver
Forum Moderator

Re: Pioneer GPS Marks Changed

Postby Clubdiver » Sat, 14 Apr 2018 7:39 pm

That mark is one of Rowan Stevens marks which has been around for some time.

Alan