Cheap trips for 2008 - Mikhail Lermontov and Poor Knights

This forum is for the discussion of dive sites around Australia and overseas, including normal, wreck and cave.
DAE avatar
Sealinator

Cheap trips for 2008 - Mikhail Lermontov and Poor Knights

Postby Sealinator » Wed, 13 Jun 2007 11:16 am

Hi all,

I am keen to organise a trip to either the Mikhail Lermontov (Marlborough Sound, New Zealand) and/or the Poor Knights (Whangarei, New Zealand) on an 'economy' budget.

I've done the PK's before, and know a decent operator who will allow people to sleep on the boat (16m cat) for $10 a night (boat can sleep about 12 i think), making a week-long liveaboard cost about $1500 + dives (up to 4 a day) ex-Melbourne. The skipper is a good bloke, and i am sure with enough people we can get some pretty good rates.

The ML - I dont know much about, but i am keen to dive it. 38msw'ish to the sand. $850NZD a day to charter the whole boat, surveyed for 8, means $93AUD for 3 dives a day per person. Pretty darn good. Dont know much about accomodation pricing etc, but flights are pretty cheap too, so no reason why we couldnt do a week diving the Lermontov for about $1500-$2000 ex-Melbourne either.

Regarding what time of year - not too fussed, but i wont be around from Jan-March next year, so anytime after that would be preferable.

If anyone would be keen to discuss these trips or maybe help organise them, shout out.

cheers

andy

cheers, Andy

DAE avatar
neil_richardson

interested

Postby neil_richardson » Wed, 13 Jun 2007 1:58 pm

Mate,,

Im over there myself in a couple of weeks (one of my little expeditions ;->). I can pick up more information for you regarding the poor knights, just tell me what to pick up. Likewise for the the Leonard, there is a couple of operator in the sounds, but http://www.pictondiversworld.co.nz/index.html has a hostel attached. The town itself has not much there, but its got more then enough for a week. But note it is South Island. So if you wanted to do them both, then you'd have to get the ferry accross from the North island to the south, and then probably back again, to get the flights out. Its totally doable in a week... and would be great fun........

Neil