Point Franklin reef

This forum is for the discussion of dive sites around Australia and overseas, including normal, wreck and cave.
DAE avatar
neilegend

Point Franklin reef

Postby neilegend » Mon, 30 Oct 2006 9:54 am

had a great dive out at the reef on Sunday, myself and Charles went and snorkled out from the pier to the marker bouy, dropped down and scuba dived over to the reef, i took him out along some sections of it getting to 11.5 meters deep.
when we got in at first the tide was coming up from the pier towards the point so we got out there on calm waters, we dropped down and when we first hit the reef had some tide pushing against us and then pushing us out north along the reef. my first thought was "$h!t, we are going to have to fight to get back to shore or i hope we get across to the pier and not out beyond it!!" :lol: i needn't have worried as the surge eased right off and it was quite comfortable down there with 5 -8 meter average viz.
we saw town huge bull rays out deep in the reef - their wingspans would have been at least 1.5meters and big thick tails with prominent barbs, i also found a spotted stingaree under a small shelf on the way back in (at 5.6 m depth). we had a nice easy drift back south towards the beach, i then took Charles south westerly and then westerly to come up on the beach closer to the pier (less beach walking for him to do - due to a slightly dodgy knee). total bottom time for the dive was only 54 minutes.

i want to be under the sea, i breath my air by the tank !.
so far 80+ dives and trying to get more every week or two.
lets face it the bay is the best dive site until, now, brumby buggers it up! NO to dredging! no matter which person leads the State.

DAE avatar
neilegend

to the reef from the point

Postby neilegend » Tue, 31 Oct 2006 5:27 pm

took Darrell out with me today to the reef, we snorkelled out from the beach towards the marker bouy and then went down to the bed and used scuba across to reef.
he told me "oh the tide is coming in. i checked just before you got here" so i went with his word. when we got to the bottom we found the tide was running out! and so had a fun swim out to the reef and then along it. got out to 11.5 m deep and again i took him out to one of the bigger reef / undercuts and i saw the big bull ray under the ledge then saw it come out and take off - i tried to get darrells attention as he was busy taking photos of other stuff - but no luck it had gone beofre he looked up.
i started with an incredible 250 bar, darrell had 210. after 48 minutes i had 100 bar and he was empty, mind you i had being dragging him back towards shore with the drift from his being on 100 bar, and was being a bit more urgent in my hurry up to him when he was on 50 bar - he was more than happy to stop and take pics (i think he knew i would hand over my occy!) so i shared my air and we swam joined at the regs :lol: for 3 minutes as we were heading into the beach, in that short time my air went down from 100 to 80 bar!!!!!! but it was a great dive - always is down here!

lets face it the bay is the best dive site until, now, brumby buggers it up! NO to dredging! no matter which person leads the State.

DAE avatar
crazysan

Postby crazysan » Thu, 02 Nov 2006 10:54 pm

Quote "he told me "oh the tide is coming in. i checked just before you got here" so i went with his word. when we got to the bottom we found the tide was running out! and so had a fun swim out to the reef and then along it".

I actually said it should be slack at 1115 as the tide was running out. I did check it before I left and the information was correct. Now as I write this I check again, however as I didn't look at the fine print that says "add 1 hr for summer time", which upon exiting the water I said " I wonder if the time included daylight savings"?

However I don't think it would have changed our dive plan as the meet was for 1030 and that was the place we are going to dive. Lucky we did snorkle to the marker and drop there. Would have been a good drift dive with a finish near the pier for a look under there.

Running out of air was not a major concern and was only due to fighting current to see a rock we could only hang on to and not much else. A good experience but a lot of effort for not much to see. Got some photos and video I will put on CD for you Neil when we next meet up Sunday or Monday I hope!

Diver, 40+ dives
Qualified OW, AOW, BPP
Looking down, deeper down
Love taking pictures & diving
Always lookin for buddies

DAE avatar
neilegend

Postby neilegend » Fri, 03 Nov 2006 1:22 pm

thats right you did say it should be getting slack , but i for some reason thought you had said it was coming in and then slack. but yes it was a nice snorkel out, and it was a good exercise going along the reef.
it was a pity you missed the bluddy big bullray that came out from that ledge - it would have been an awesome picture! as for the current in that area near the ledge where the ray was, yes it was pretty strong, the secret is to stay low which is a bit hard when you want to see what is up on the next shelf up!!! :lol: :roll: but we did have a nice westerly drift back in and came up near the shore not to far from the pier .
would love to see the pics you took. oh and also welcome to the docs forums :D I'm glad i told you about them.

DAE avatar
Sabre

Postby Sabre » Wed, 27 Dec 2006 4:44 pm

From my diving at Point Franklin, the FLOOD currents are to be feared! It's much better walking to Point Franklin and diving at the end of the slack, start of ebb and getting carried back to the Pier.

Got caught in a FLOOD when slack water came early and it was very tough getting back to shore!

A friend & I got to 18m off Point Franklin in early December, long swim back, but some amazing sponge gardens there! :shock: 8)

Great spot but you certainly need to study those current charts! :twisted:

Simon

chewy

Postby chewy » Wed, 31 Jan 2007 3:13 am

Neil, G2GW - let me know if you're doing Franklin Reef once more....I have yet to dive this site and keep hearing great dive accounts....most frustrating indeed !!!

Chewy

DAE avatar
neilegend

my 50th dive, Crazysans 75th

Postby neilegend » Thu, 01 Feb 2007 2:43 pm

Chewy, man you are going to hate me!!
Darrell and i dived Point Franklin on Wednesday as my 50th and his 75th dives, we went out at slack with an ebb tide due, we snorkelled out to past the marker and then N.E. a little to come down on the reef, the ebb tide was juuuussst starting when we got down there. went along the reef ledges and had decided we would go out the back past the sponge gardens to see if we could find some more shelves and ledges - but to no avail. we did however find a bluddy big bull ray sitting quite happily out in the open at about 12m depth, he was just sitting there and we came face to tail with him as we came over one slight dune, so went around him and continued on our way.
we let the tide take us westwards and finned a little south but the wierd thing was heading south while being pushed westerly we then ended up coming EASTERLY and back over the top of the start of the reef near the start marker!!!!! this was fine though as we knew exactly where we were and came up on shore 1/2 way towards the pier.
an excellent dive to celebrate 50 and 75 respectively.