Parkdale Reef Mordialloc

This forum is for the discussion of dive sites around Australia and overseas, including normal, wreck and cave.
DAE avatar
neilegend

Parkdale Reef Mordialloc

Postby neilegend » Wed, 01 Nov 2006 3:07 pm

have been given a photocopy of a hand drawn not to scale map of parkdale reef (i sinned and went to a LDS in Frankston for a fill) and so am looking at trying it out in a few weeks time when Tony and i have a chance to dive together next.
i will post an invite of when we are going there on here and then also my findings after we have been.

i want to be under the sea, i breath my air by the tank !.
so far 80+ dives and trying to get more every week or two.
lets face it the bay is the best dive site until, now, brumby buggers it up! NO to dredging! no matter which person leads the State.

DAE avatar
Dive in wine tanks

Postby Dive in wine tanks » Thu, 02 Nov 2006 12:35 pm

Sounds like a good dip, how far of shore, deep etc????? would be interested if around.

Somewhere wet is the only place to be

DAE avatar
neilegend

where is it and how deep etc..

Postby neilegend » Thu, 02 Nov 2006 2:19 pm

it is near the mordialloc pier about 200 - 250 meters out from shore, almost in line with the end of the pier a cpl hundred meters away from it.
depth is between 5. meters to 7.2 - 7.8 meters, so not deep but meant to be a nice one to visit.

lets face it the bay is the best dive site until, now, brumby buggers it up! NO to dredging! no matter which person leads the State.

DAE avatar
neilegend

Postby neilegend » Wed, 06 Dec 2006 2:43 pm

Crazysan and i went out and did the parkdale reef yesterday. fantastic day, fantastic site, fantastic time and fantastic views when we surfaced!
we snorkelled out to the scattered rocks that are not far before the reef rock and went down (about 5 meters here) had a little look at them and headed towards the rock, viz was a little murky (about 5 -6 at best) and as we were heading closer to the rock it seemed to just loom out of the gloom - one moment sea bed and the next a wall in front of us!
there were at least 20 or more rays around the rock and about 4 darted out from under the sand as we finned along over them, first time it happened i jumped til i realised what it was :lol: but they were every where under ledges and shelfs and in the sand, we even saw a fiddler ray out there too!
plenty of soft and some hard coral and lots of different sponges made for excellent scenery, loads of small fish and some juvenile fish too. we also saw two seperate sand flatheads - i think they were a decent size.Darrell found a nudi on our trip around the rock.
we took our time going around having a nice slow look at everything (max depth was 6.9meters for me) and we had a grand total dive time of 1 hour and 50 minutes 8) my longest dive to date. i went in on 220 bar and surfaced with 35 bar so not a bad effort i think.
Tony and i will be going out to do this site soon as well as i am sure he would like it too.

DAE avatar
neilegend

a birthday dive for me

Postby neilegend » Mon, 05 Feb 2007 1:53 pm

myself and Geoff Williams (on dive oz){ he has dived with myself and with Tony - G2GW} are going to be doing Parkdale from 10 am meet in the carpark at mordialloc on 6th of February (yes tomorrow) , anyone else want to come out and have a squiz at the rock can call me on 0414 442 416 or home no. 9775 7659 , or just turn up before 10 am!! we will meet at the end of the car park which is a little past the mordialloc pier.
if you can make it great, if not i will post up here how it went.