Frankston Pier, Yes really!!

This forum is for the discussion of dive sites around Australia and overseas, including normal, wreck and cave.
DAE avatar
neilegend

Frankston Pier, Yes really!!

Postby neilegend » Wed, 08 Nov 2006 5:35 pm

Darrell and i logged our respective 50th and 40th dives in a most glorious fashion - we did them under Frankston Pier!! :lol:
was actually not a bad dive site once we waded out (well crawled on knees in my case) to the first lower landing where we stareted to get just over a meter of depth, we snorkled for a short distance and when it got a little deeper, under we went.
there are some interesting growths, both sponge and weed, on the pylons and we saw a couple of different specie of crabs, 2 different rays, a sea horse, seabiscuits, 11 leg seastars and some inanimate objects. namely a couple of golf balls, a lawn bowl ball ( Darrell and i started a new sport - seabed bowls :lol: using the white golf ball as the kitty or jack :lol: ) a mangled trolley up the end of the pier, a fair bit of the damaged destroyed pier from the storms that wrecked it some years ago is still there too.
oh and i also found $1, 20 cent and a 5cent plus a penny which Darrell managed to loosen and get free while i went to retrieve the pliers i saw (D and i had a mock battle at the time we saw them, with the pliers vs the knife he found under the pier haha) also saw a carcass of a small fiddler ray at the end of the leg of the pier.
overall we spent just over an hour underwater and some time snorkelling and both of us felt it was actually worth doing!!!! a fair bit to see some nice colours and growths under there but no actual fish unless you count the stupid puffer fish!

i want to be under the sea, i breath my air by the tank !.
so far 80+ dives and trying to get more every week or two.
lets face it the bay is the best dive site until, now, brumby buggers it up! NO to dredging! no matter which person leads the State.