Tanks

This forum is for the discussion of all matters relating to dive gear, including scuba equipment reviews, DIY projects and gear modifications.
DAE avatar
whale

Tanks

Postby whale » Tue, 04 Dec 2007 7:16 pm

Hey kids

Who owns tanks? what size? material? brand? would you buy it again? etc etc.

I'm in the market and looking to do some research.

Cheers

Pete

Hev

Postby Hev » Tue, 11 Dec 2007 12:53 pm

For back tanks I prefer steel, and mine are Fabers. Steel lets you take weight out of the weight belt and they don't get "floaty" at the end of a dive. I currently own twin 7 litres, and borrow twin 10.5 litres for the deeper/longer dives. I use a manifold, rather than indepedents, but that's another argument for another day :P

For a stage I use a 5 litre Catalina Aluminium tank. Physically about the same size a steel 7 litre, but it hangs bum up a bit so is easier to manage in the water than the equivalent capacity steel cylinder.

When buying tanks you want to consider both the in water and out of water weight/mass as well as different bouyancy characteristics and bouyancy will change depending on how full the tank is. What size you want depends on what diving you are doing and what your SAC rate is, twin 12s if you mostly shore dive in less than 15m depth are overkill.

Like all dive gear, wherever possible try before you buy. It costs and what works for one person may not work for you. When trying out tanks remember you need to take into account how you will rig/sling/mount the tank as well as the tank itself.

DAE avatar
BruceTerrill

Tanks

Postby BruceTerrill » Mon, 17 Dec 2007 7:40 am

I own two Faber steel 125cu.ft. They are the short stumpy ones and yes I would buy them again. You might want to check the weight before you buy these blokes because they are fairly heavy...
Bruce