Dive Computers 101

This forum is for the discussion of all matters relating to dive gear, including scuba equipment reviews, DIY projects and gear modifications.
DAE avatar
whale

Dive Computers 101

Postby whale » Wed, 11 Oct 2006 10:54 am

Hi Pete

I'm financially not in the market but I am still very interested in a computer (if I can get it past the Mrs).

My question is, about where in the market should I be looking?

Air integrated? wrist/hose/console mount? Watch Computers? Downloadable? air/nitrox/tri?

What's out there in the market? I know there is Suunto - and it seems to be the computer manufacturer most marketed but what should we as new to the dive computer market be looking for.

Really I'm after a good, easy to understand and operate computer that will help me stay as safe as I can and help me not get bent.....again.

DAE avatar
neilegend

Postby neilegend » Wed, 11 Oct 2006 4:00 pm

i personally use a VEO250 by oceanic (most of my stuff is by them - i look like a walking ad for them!!!) and find it to be useful and useable. pretty straight forward and easy to use. simple to set up when i read the manual and followed the guide. it has little guide on the side of the computer face showing you if you are coming up too quick and the like so helps keep you safer.
so yes there are other brands out there. i havent tried others but this is one bit of input for you. obviously you have to look at what you want to do and how often and air or mixes and all that. but for a simple piece of equipment for a simple diver (shore and the odd boat dive) it works for me.
hope this was of help.

i want to be under the sea, i breath my air by the tank !.
so far 80+ dives and trying to get more every week or two.
lets face it the bay is the best dive site until, now, brumby buggers it up! NO to dredging! no matter which person leads the State.

DAE avatar
hideous

Postby hideous » Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:02 am

God.. I think I have a Lux Favor and an Oceanic multiple event bottom timery thing built into the contents gauge I bought from Russel Kit back in the 80's.

They both work well. I suck so much air its a waste of time anyway :)

chewy

Postby chewy » Mon, 23 Oct 2006 10:07 pm

There's a few reasons I chose the Suunto Vytec - these are my opinions only.

1. I wanted a computer without gimicks but features that would support my diving as it improved - e.g. multiple gas mixes, and depths > 30m.

I bought a transmitter for the Vytec but sold it after understanding its limitations including sometimes coupling with another diver's computer - it just seemed too pricey for something I didn't require and wasn't entirely dependable. However I do wish I had air consumption and air remaining information in the dive log information downloaded from the dive computer.

2. It has to be easy to use and configure: the Vytec scrolls through options and has a large display that's easy to read. It's auto-on so there's no need to remember to set on/off, and doesn't need to be sent overseas for a battery change - user can change it readily. All the functions are easy to use.

I have put my computer on a bungee mounts which mean it's very easy on/off the wrist but still very secure and comfortable. I prefer watch-mounted computers b/c I always know where my wrist is located and it's easy to bring the computer to eye-level.

Also I don't like $$$ dive computers left on hoses connected to a regulator that somebody could steal if left hanging to dry etc, get banged around or sat on on boat charter.

3. recommendation: the Vytec has been around for a while and many divers I know use it which has the added benefit that we can understand each other's computer display and functions - sometimes useful if a readout looks suspicious. Plus, I haven't heard any criticisms of Suunto - some brands appear to have a (just?) reputation for being unreliable or inaccurate.

Reviews at http:www.divernet.com is helpful but talking to someone like Peter Fear (a veritable owl of info & experience) will help steer you from making costly mistakes.

4. Importantly understand the algorithm and conservative factors implemented - how current is the decompression model and why some models are developed (i.e. to improve on pervious model's assumptions and methods).

Most of the reading I did on deco. algorithms were from technical diving and DAN Alert magazines - they are somewhat long and difficult to read at 10pm in bed.....More importantly is to understand the limits of existing models - esp. if you're under/over weight, or very unfit which means you aren't mainstream in some of the research modelling/study. This may help you determine if you're at greater risk of getting bent and set the appropriate safety factor on your computer.

5. Price and support: Suunto Vytec is mainstream and easy to get support. A computer like the VR3 may be excellent but it's too expensive and overkill for the type of diving I hope to do - it's also complicated (fully featured).

6. RTFM - this is advice to myself b/c I have skipped certain sections and realize I don't know everything about the dive computer features and operation.

The Vyper is another Suunto model that looks quite good.

sorry it's so long...when I get going.....it's like the day after a very hot curry....

DAE avatar
whale

Computers 101

Postby whale » Tue, 24 Oct 2006 10:10 pm

Thanks Pete.

mmmmm...hot curry....

Sadly there are no curry shops out our way so you are making me very jealous.

As for the long winded explanation, keep it up. It gives those of us with no experience a good insight into your reasonings for buying your computer and other gear.

I know my local shop has the oceanic "ezi-buy" thing, do others like the Doc have features such as this? I would assume they do but...

I'd ideally be looking at wristmount as well for pretty much the same reasons you have stated AND I wouldnt give up my analogue guages even if paid. I'd rather have that backup than trust batteries and electronics even if they can do better calculations that the average brain. At least if there is a failure in the computer, the analogue guages still give basic information such as air time remaining :)

Cheers

Pete

chewy

Postby chewy » Fri, 27 Oct 2006 11:09 pm

You're more than welcome to try mine if you want to do a dive - I usually dive most weekends and happy for you to try out a Suunto Vytec on bungee mount.

Email me etc. and we can tee it up.

DAE avatar
whale

try before you buy

Postby whale » Fri, 27 Oct 2006 11:26 pm

Sweet. I'll be heading down to Melbourne around Christmas (hopefully). The whole christmas with the family gig then heading down to Portsea for some diving and let the tin lids have a paddle in bay or a back beach like diamond bay depending on the weather. My oldest is desperate to go on a ship so we will take the Ferry across to Queenscliff and then on possibly to Apollo Bay for a couple and then home again.

I'm pretty sure I'll be getting back in the water next weekend :)

I've lost 2 belt notches (nearly 3) in the three weeks I've been on the forums and wanting to get wet again and will be in much better shape for diving than I was a few weeks back. :D

Thanks for the offer and I will be sure to get in touch with you when I am closer to your location on the MP!

Are you coming to the ponds with Dive In Wine Tanks et al? Thats out my way so if you are we could tee something up there. 8)
Cheers

Pete

lloyd_borrett
Site Admin

Postby lloyd_borrett » Fri, 26 Jan 2007 9:48 pm

G'day,

Having also purchased a Suunto Vytec with air integration, I agree with what Peter had to say, apart from two things.

I too purchased a bungee mount so as to have my computer on my left wrist, not on my console. However, I felt the bungee might not be secure enough and have been using a Waterbourne Safety Strap instead.

I've kept my air integration. The only problem I've had is failing to sync the transmitter with the computer before putting my BC on. Once I got into the habit of syncing first and then putting on my BC, I haven't had any problems. I haven't dived a lot with people around me using the Vytec with a transmitter, but I have done it a few times without any problems.

If you're ever going to think about getting into more "technical", mixed gas or deco stop diving, you might like to check out the advice of the Bikini Atoll Divemasters about their experiences with dive computers for their dive program. They let you know what they think will and won't work.

Best Regards, Lloyd Borrett.

DAE avatar
angelica

Re: Dive Computers 101

Postby angelica » Tue, 20 Nov 2007 2:47 pm

whale wrote:
What's out there in the market?

Dive computers? Every diver must OWN one! I use Aeris dive computers.. All the features are very easy to use! So far, it was the only one that ever worked for me, that's why i recommend it. And not to mention, it's affordable too! =P

Angelica

blairm

Uwatec Galileo Sol

Postby blairm » Sat, 11 Oct 2008 4:09 pm

This rather expensive device is the best I have ever had it even alloes firware updates (PDIS).

There is a cheaper version available that does not include a few of the features, it is the GALILEO TERRA,

My thoughts on the selection of a dive computer is DONT BE CHEAP - you might just REALLY need it one day....

DAE avatar
DiveConcepts

Re: Dive Computers

Postby DiveConcepts » Wed, 03 Feb 2021 9:55 pm

Dive computers come in many designs. Whether you are looking for a console, or wrist-mount, or wristwatch-style computers. For many people, an ascension rate monitor may be the most crucial reason to buy a dive computer. Every diver and even non-divers knows the risks of coming up too fast, and every diver does all they can to keep within the safe limits. The normal display features any good dive computer should show you the basics at a look, are maximum depth, current depth, dive time, and no-fly/no-stop time.