Humpback Whales in the Bay

This forum is for the discussion of anything that lives in the sea. Can't identify a critter? Then post an image here and see if someone can identify it for you.
chewy

Humpback Whales in the Bay

Postby chewy » Tue, 19 Jun 2007 10:45 am

The sighting of a mother (presumeably) and calf humpback whale in the bay after a dive last weekend was one of those Kodak memories I will remember as if time slowed down (if only I could ignore the cold temperature).

They appear almost mythical that something big and powerful could move through the water so effortlessly and underneath our boat no less (but detected on the depth finder). That perfectly-proportioned tail fin is an amazing sight even though I've seen several documentaries on whales. And there's a dignity about these gentle giants that's hard to describe but I feel humbled by their magnificience.

It irritates me that the planned bay dredging threatens the health of the bay that has made it attractive for the whales to visit - I don't suppose there's any hope to declare the bay a whale reserve/habitat and halt further dredging.....

And it saddens me that inconsiderate people that drive their boat at full speed past the whales don't consider the damage they may have caused :(

Please be mindful that it's a real honour and rarity to see them - with any luck, there will be more next year.