The Suunto SK8 Add-on Back Mount Compass (SH) is for use as an add-on compass to the rear of a Suunto Zoop, Cobra, Vyper, Gekko or analogue gauge CB console. It's a high-quality, liquid-filled dive compass based on the Suunto SK-8 module, the world's most popular dive compass.
Many divers take compasses for granted, considering them just an accessory to an overall dive gauge console system. Trying to navigate with a poorly designed or improperly functioning compass can be one of diving's more frustrating events.
The Suunto SK-8 Compass has set a new standard for dive compasses. The superior Suunto SK8 features an exceptional tilt potential of +/- 30° degrees, which is 2-3 times larger than in conventional diving compasses.
The Suunto SK-8 delivers even better underwater performance with faster stabilisation and enhanced readability. The instrument can be used over a wider area of the globe thanks to an upgraded magnet. The Suunto SK-8 Compass has easy-to-read numerals on a phosphorescent compass card and a large side-reading window for gun-sight accurate navigation.
The firm-grip rotating bezel with a ratchet at every 5° degree is especially designed to prevent sand-and-dirt contamination, thus allowing smooth turning in all conditions. The compass bezel has compass headings in 30° degrees numbered increments and indicator marks for every 5° degrees. Bezel has twin heading indicators for alignment of compass course and a lubber line across the compass face. The Suunto SK8 Compass is liquid filled for a quick and responsive movement.
The durable rubber boot allows easy mounting on the Vyper, Gekko and analog consoles to give the diver complete instrumentation. The boot has a side notch for side reading navigation.
Please note: The compass we sell is calibrated for the Southern Hemisphere (SH)
Suunto SK-8 Add-On Back Mount Compass Features:
- Latest Edition of Suunto's Leading Dive Compasses:
Delivers Even Better Underwater Performance
Faster Stabilisation and Enhanced Readability
Instrument Can-Be-Used-Over Wider Area of Globe Thanks to Upgraded Magnet
- Back Mount Design for Console
- Up-Grade Console for Full Instrumentation Capability
- Tilt Potential of +/- 30° Degrees
- Tilt is 2 to 3 Times Better than Conventional Compasses
- Phosphorescent Compass Card for Easy-Reading in Low Light Conditions
- Large side-reading window
- Gun-Sight Accurate Navigation
- Southern Hemisphere (SH) Compass
- Designed for Excellent Navigation
- 360° Degree Ratchet Bezel
- Liquid Filled Compass
- Lubber Line
- Durable Rubber Console Mount Boot
- Mount Fits: Vyper, Gekko and Analog CB Consoles
- Easy to Install on Console
- Owner's Guide
Suunto Compass Balancing
The vertical intensity and direction of the earth's magnetic field, the inclination, influences the horizontal plane of a compass needle according to the latitude where it is used. Due to inclination, compasses must be balanced for different geographical zones in order to keep the needle in a horizontal position.
Previously, the globe was divided into five different balance zones in which specific compasses functioned. However, as people travel more and more, the need for a compass with a greater geographical range has increased. Thanks to Suunto's 'Two Zone System' there are only two balance zones to consider in compass use — the Northern Hemisphere and the Southern Hemisphere. In practice, this means that a Suunto compass designed for the northern hemisphere will still work for a fair distance into the southern hemisphere, and vice-versa.
TIP: This compass is set for the Southern Hemisphere. If you purchase a compass from say, North America or Europe, it will not function correctly in Australia as the counterweight will not be properly set for the region you are in. All of our Suunto SK-8 Compasses are balanced correctly for use here in Australia.
- The International Limited Warranty Period starts at the date of original retail purchase.
- The Warranty Period is five (5) years for failures attributable to the depth measurement (pressure) sensor on Suunto Dive Computers.
- The Warranty Period is two (2) years for Dive Products and Dive transmitters unless otherwise specified.
- The Warranty Period is one (1) year for accessories including but not limited to wireless sensors, chargers, cables, rechargeable batteries, straps, bracelets and hoses.
Note: This item cannot be delivered outside of Australia.