TRY SCUBA DIVING Non-Certified
Discover Scuba Diving: If you want to try scuba diving, but you’re not quite ready to take the plunge into a scuba certification course, we offer a half-day experience called a Discover Scuba Diving in a pool-like environment, with an open water dive. It’s a quick and easy way to find out if you like scuba diving.
Please noteADDITIONAL surcharges - which are not included below are applicable to Public Holiday Bookings (due to Govt requirements to pay staff double time).
Single Dive - $120.00
PADI Discover Scuba Diving
Have you always wondered what it's like to breathe underwater? If you want to try scuba diving, but aren't quite ready to take the plunge into a certification course, then Discover Scuba Diving is for you.
The PADI Discover Scuba Diving program introduces you to scuba diving in a highly supervised and relaxed manner. It dispels common misconceptions about scuba by letting you try it for yourself. Under the guidance of a PADI professional, you will learn basic safety concepts, put on equipment and swim around underwater in a closely supervised environment. Discover Scuba Sessions typically require two to three hours to complete, including pool-side briefing, pool time, and debriefing.
While not a scuba certification course, Discover Scuba Diving is a quick and easy introduction to what it takes to explore the underwater world. To sign up for a PADI Discover Scuba Diving experience with The Scuba Doctor, you must be at least 16 years old. No prior experience with scuba diving is necessary, but you need to be in reasonable physical health. Are you ready to try it out?
What You'll Learn
You learn the basic safety guidelines and skills needed to dive under the direct supervision of a PADI Professional. If you make an open water dive, you'll practice a few more skills in shallow water to prepare for your adventure. Get ready to:
- Go over the scuba equipment you use to dive and how easy it is to move around underwater with your gear.
- Find out what it's like to breathe underwater.
- Learn key skills that you'll use during every scuba dive.
- Have fun swimming around and exploring.
- Hear about becoming a certified diver through the PADI Open Water Diver course.
Whenever possible, an Orientation Session will be provided at The Scuba Doctor facilities prior to the Discover Scuba Session:
Boon Wurrung Country
1/49 Peninsula Ave
RYE VIC 3941
Phone: 03 5985 1700
The objectives of the orientation session are as follows:
- Introduce participants to the Owners, Instructors and/or Dive Masters at The Scuba Doctor;
- Provide a tour of the facilities at The Scuba Doctor;
- Complete all necessary paperwork for the Discover Scuba Program;
- Fit the participants for dive equipment;
- Review Discover Scuba Session Schedule; and
- Answer any questions the participants have regarding the Discover Scuba Session or other programs and equipment offered by The Scuba Doctor.
- Note: Where participants aren't able to attend the Orientation Session, The Scuba Doctor will provide a sizing chart for the participant to complete prior to the Discover Scuba.
The Discover Scuba Sessions will take place at one of the pool facilities utilised by The Scuba Doctor.
Discover Scuba Session Format
- Participants not able to attend the Orientation Session will meet with the The Scuba Doctor Instructor and/or Dive Master 30 minutes prior to the Discover Scuba Session to address administrative requirements.
- Dive Master or Instructor assembles scuba equipment and arrange at pool side for participants.
- The Scuba Doctor Instructor provides an overview of the programs offered.
- Pool Side Briefing: The Scuba Doctor Instructor introduces and explains the use of a mask, fins, buoyancy control device (BCD), regulator and pressure gauge. He or she will also review any other equipment participants will wear — exposure protection, weight system, alternate air source, etc.
- Prior to entering the water, the Instructor and/or Dive Master will review breathing rules and equalisation techniques, as well as regulator and mask clearing. The Instructor and/or Dive Master will also provide an overview of essential safety information and basic scuba skills.
- Entering the pool, The Scuba Doctor Instructor and/or Dive Master will assist participants in putting on and adjusting their scuba equipment.
- The Scuba Doctor Instructor and/or Dive Master will directly supervise participants as they breathe underwater and swim around in shallow water. When comfortable, The Scuba Doctor Instructor and/or Dive Master will take the participants on tours in deeper water as appropriate.
Note: The Scuba Doctor Instructors may, at their discretion, introduce skills from the PADI Open Water Diver course Confined Water Dive One. Skills mastered during the Discover Scuba Diving program may be credited toward PADI Open Water Diver course requirements.
- At the conclusion of the Discover Scuba experience, The Scuba Doctor Instructor or Dive Master will debrief the participants, reminding them that they need additional training to dive without professional supervision, encouraging them to move on to certification programs, recognising them for their accomplishments, and completing registration procedures.
- Participants will receive instant recognition via a Discover Scuba Certification Card signed by the Instructor and/or Dive Master.
- The Scuba Doctor Instructor will register each Discover Scuba Diving participant with the PADI Office within 30 days of their Discover Scuba Session.
To participate in the PADI Discover Scuba Diving program, an individual must:
- Be 16 years of age, or older.
- Review, complete and sign the PADI Discover Scuba Diving affirmation of risk and medical history screen before entering the water — PADI Medical Statement (Adobe PDF | 113.12 KB).
- Parent or guardian signature is required for new divers younger than legal age.
- If the new diver answers "Yes" to any condition on the form's medical history section, the diver must receive medical approval prior to any in-water activities. See Diving Medical.
The Scuba Doctor Responsibilities
- In conducting the Orientation and Discover Scuba Sessions, The Scuba Doctor will provide Buoyancy Compensators, Regulators, Scuba Cylinders, Weights and Wetsuits (as necessary).
- The Scuba Doctor will transport all required equipment to the pool facilities, assemble equipment for participants, and return dive equipment to The Scuba Doctor.
- The Scuba Doctor will provide Instructors who are PADI Members in a Teaching status (renewed with current Professional Liability Insurance) and/or Dive Masters in Active status (renewed with current Professional Liability Insurance).
In order to participate in the Discover Scuba Sessions, you need only complete the administrative paperwork, and provide a willingness to learn and experience scuba diving.
You'll be provided with a buoyancy control device (BCD), regulators, dive computer, scuba cylinder, wetsuit, and weight belt from our collection of Scuba Equipment Rental gear.
You'll need to provide your own bathing suit and towel. We do not provide or hire out personal scuba diving items such as masks, snorkels, dive boots, fins, hoods, gloves, etc. You can buy these in our dive shop online or in-store.
What Does it Cost?
We offer a bespoke, personalised, private experience in Melbourne and on the Mornington Peninsula. You will be the one and only priority of your diving Instructor and/or Dive Master. That is, unless you opt to share your instructor with a family member, partner or friend.
This lets you have a better experience. It's an unrushed experience. Working together with your personal Scuba Instructor and/or Dive Master you can choose which times of day you want to schedule your dives and experience.
Our personalised PADI Discover Scuba Diving programme simply mean a more focused experience, customised scheduling, and no down time waiting for others. The result is better divers and more time on each dive to explore with your Instructor and/or Dive Master. See Private Lessons.
Of course, our way is much more expensive that if you do a PADI Discover Scuba Diving programme with six or more others in a group situation. Please Contact Us for details.